Monday, February 9, 2009

Fatigue

The fatigue of Fibromyalgia is utterly awful. You are feeling good and so glad. Then all of a sudden you begin to hurt, your arms and legs feel like lead weights, You don't feel like you can keep on moving due to the fatigue. That's scary and no fun. But sadly, many people with fibromyalgia have this (as does Chronic Fatigue people).

It's been described like being run over by a mac truck or a steam roller. Have you had that feeling?

Naps can help but when I say naps, it's not in a chair watching tv, not reading but laying down in a darkened room for 20 minutes or half hour (you can set a timer if you are afraid of sleeping all day). When you lay down, doing some relaxation exercises first, covering up so you are warm (cold makes the muscles hurt worse for me) and turn off the brain chatter. That takes work to do but once your brain gets the idea and you practice turning it off, it will make a difference. When waking up, don't jump right off the bed..... stretch a little, gradually sitting up, sitting a few seconds and then getting up. Rehydrate your body by drinking a glass of water and then go about your day.

Check with your doctor about sleep apnea tests in case you are not sleeping well at night.

1 comment:

Carmen S. said...

Thank You for starting this blog! I have had fibro. for 16 years. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I've been able to keep a part time job, but some days it's hard. The feeling of being hit by a mack truck..oh how I can relate! I've found what helps alot is really watching what I do and pacing myself on activities. Bless you on sharing your site, as alot of folks still don't understand this painful disease.